Thunderbird Settings and Configuration
Mozilla Thunderbird is a very easy client to configure, and we will use the very settings we have explained in Email Configuration.
Here, however, we provide you with screenshots of all the configuration panels, along with their settings.
If you have never used Thunderbird before, it is open-source, which means
it doesn't cost anything, it is full-featured, has hundreds of add-ons, and is actively developed.
If you want to run Thunderbird from your flash drive, or you only need a temporary email-client for the sake of migration, we recommend
Thunderbird Portable. Like Thunderbird, Thunderbird Portable is free,
but it doesn't store any settings in the user profile folder on the local computer, and doesn't create any registry entries.
How To Configure Thunderbird for use with Google Mail
Now, before you can configure your Thunderbird to work with Google Mail, you first have to tell Google Mail to allow that. If you haven't already done so, please read
this article: Configure Google Mail To Allow Other Clients.
How to Properly Configure the o365 IMAP Folders
Office365 uses an unusual naming convention for it's IMAP folders which Thunderbird doesn't expect. This means that you have to manually
subscribe the correct IMAP folders. Here you see the name Thunderbird expects and then the actual IMAP folder in o365:
- Sent = Sent Items
- Trash = Deleted Items
- Junk = Junk Email
- Archives = Archive
So what do you do about that? You unsubscribe what Thunderbird expects and subscribe the actual o365 folder.
There are further directions and screenshots here
and here, too.
Use o365 Calendars
You can load your Office365 Calendar into Thunderbird's Lightning Calendar.
So, first you need to install Lightning in Thunderbird if you haven't already.
Then you will need also install Ericsson's Exchange Calendar Addon.
Once you've installed the two addons,
- In Thunderbird, go to File > New > Calendar
- Select “On the Network”
- Then select “Microsoft Exchange 2007/2010/2013”
- Set calendar display settings and attach it to the configured Office365 email account
- Enter the following configuration:
- Autodiscovery: Unchecked
- Server URL: https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx
- Primary Email: emailaddress.domain.com - your complete email address
- Username: emailaddress.domain.com - your complete email address
- Share Folder ID: Leave blank
- Press the "Check server and mailbox" button. It should populate "Folderbase: Calendar folder" and set the Path for you.
- Press Save
Configure Office365 Global Address Book
For Thunderbird, this will allow you to search the office365 global address book, but will not create a list of all the addresses.
- Username: This will be your full email address
- Password: Usually, your client normally won't ask for your password until it tries to connect. Remember that passwords are case-sensitive.
- SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com
- Port: 587
- Connection Security: STARTTLS or TLS
- Authentication Method: Normal Password - if you try to put "Encrypted Password" it won't work. Google already uses SSL, which means it is already encrypted.
Press the "Check server and mailbox" button. It should populate "Folderbase: Calendar folder" and set the Path for you. Press Save.